So...things have changed a lot! I now live in Acton, MA in a lovely 2 bedroom, one office, huge living room, apartment. The big day was on May 27, 2012. As much as people usually say that it's the best day of your life, I disagree. It was a good day, but certainly not the best. Maybe working until the Friday before the date (which was on a Sunday) was the mistake I made, since I was totally exhausted. But, I guess I should explain what happened.
By March, we had most of the RSVPs back. We were able to budget how much we would be able to put toward food and liquor (which were our priorities), while my mother worked on the centerpieces and decorations. We decided on a great DJ through Revelation Productions, out of Worcester, MA. I threw probably the last large birthday party that I will have the energy for. I think the next one will be a small soiree at our place, with the possibility of drinks afterward.
In April, we decided on the preliminary seating charts and had to pay off most of the vendors, which is always the least fun part of wedding planning. I was surprised with a lovely bridal shower by the dear Mrs. Katie Holcomb and my sister. Also had a falling-out with a bridesmaid, but the friendship was due to a fatal end. It's sad to lose a childhood friendship, but sometimes it's a good thing too, to open up time and energy for people who have proven themselves to be good friends in the present.
In May, life was absolutely crazy! 3 hours of sleep a night, totally abandoning the Master's thesis (poor thing has been abandoned for just too long!), working full-time, chronic headaches, spending weekends helping the parents gut 19 years of crap that had accumulated in the house. By the time May 25th rolled around, the relief set in. 4 weeks of not working, moving into the house, and finishing the long-awaited Master's project! Family members started to come in starting the Tuesday before the wedding, including Mom's brothers and all the first cousins on Mom's side except for Aaron, who had exams for medical school. I suppose that's a good enough excuse. May 26th, the rehearsal and Mehndi night, was quite fun. A little overwhelming to be the center of attention, though, since you can't really sit down, eat, and have a meaningful conversation. It's only about 2-3 minutes of talking to each person, giving them a big hug, thanking them for coming, and disappearing to get some food.
May 27th was also an exhausting day. I was up until 5am putting together last minute place-settings, photography documents, and then had to get up by 9:30AM for hair and makeup. So...I was very, very tired. By 10AM, I was directing bridesmaids into getting their hair or makeup done, and the unexpected occurred-- one of my dear bridesmaids had burned her dress. She had attempted to iron it, but since it's chiffon, it needed to be steamed-- but she did it, anyway. So, thankfully, I had a spare bridesmaid dress (the size 6 that really is a 2/4 so it didn't fit the real size 6 girls), so I cut out a piece of it to sew onto her dress. Unfortunately, that wasn't the best method, so Katie and my mother were able to fold it and make the burn disappear. The major disadvantage to that is that everything was kind of thrown off-- Mom and Dad got delayed to setting up the venue, and didn't come back until nearly 4pm (the time of the wedding!) to get ready. By 2:30PM, I was already very nervous, as our portraits were supposed to start by then! As someone who a- doesn't care much about details and b- really would rather things start on TIME than be super elegant, I really wanted to leave at that moment. But, the MOH, my sister, who had been super helpful with last-minute details, wasn't ready with hair and makeup, so we left the house at 4pm. I was ready to get into the dress by 4:20, which wouldn't have been a bad time to start...but the parents hadn't arrived yet. By 5:15, we got word that they arrived. From the window of the bridal room, I could see that people were enjoying the cocktail hour-- before the wedding. At the moment, that really annoyed me. I wanted things to start at the LATEST by 4:45, so that we could all enjoy the cocktail hour together. By 5:15, when the parents walked in, I nearly threw a fit. Tears streamed down my face, but fortunately, my makeup wasn't ruined. I knew that pictures would then cut into our reception, which was supposed to be a real show and dance for everyone.
But by 5:30PM, an hour and a half later than expected, the nervousness set in. Dad walked me down what seemed like an endless aisle. But there he was...waiting for me. I started to shake, and nearly tear up. Matt Griffin, a friend of ours, officiated the whole thing seamlessly! The DJ had a microphone on him, and he was then very easy to hear. The readings were done wonderfully, and the bridesmaid with the dress mishap was nearly crying. So sweet. Our vows were written by ourselves, and I nearly cried when I heard his. I actually had written mine at 1:45PM, realizing I hadn't even written them yet! But, when you love someone and know that it's the right person, the words come easily. Walking down the aisle with him was amazing. The ceremony seemed to go by within minutes, and it was around 20 minutes. We had 2 songs, 6 readings, vows, and a beginning prayer by my dad. It included everything that was important to us. And then, we were married!
Pictures took place right afterward, and I really would have rather gone straight to the reception hall. But, given that we had already paid the photographer, we did need to get our money's worth, I guess! We reached the reception hall by 7:30PM, but dinner ran until about 10PM. Which meant that by 10PM, we were being asked what things we wanted to include in the reception and which things we would have to let go of. We were able to do out fake-out dance, which started with Shania Twain's "From This Moment," which sounded like it was ruining, and then "Happy to Be Stuck with You" started, with an uppity dance. That part was awesome. The food was good, but we barely had a chance to have any of it, since we were always asked for pictures. One of the kindest things from the wedding was when Aaron's friend (and now mine!) sat in front of the table and said "this is your moment to eat. now no one can take pictures of you!" Amazing. We'll totally do the same for her, when the time comes for hers :) We also barely had a chance to avail of the open bar, so Mellanie got a bottle of wine for us, so that we could have some at the post-party. Since it was then 11PM, I had to quickly change into my lengha. It was over $500, so I wasn't going to not wear it! So, I finally had a chance to dance. Took pictures when convenient, but finally felt free. Pictures are a very overrated part of a wedding, I realized. The best memories are the ones of spending time with people, dancing, and eating (if you get the chance to!). On the way to the post-party at the hotel, my cousin and his brother had a bit of a confrontation, which delayed our entrance there.
By the time we reached the hotel, I saw one of the nicest sights of the wedding. Aaron's parents, divorced and happily remarried, were sitting together, as couples, and talking. We spent some time talking to them, and then headed up. Then, we had a few drops of alcohol, which would have been much nicer, earlier in the night! I'm sure it would have decreased my stress levels...at least for that period of time. The next morning, we slept in until 1pm, and moved into OUR apartment. In the past 10 days, I have spent time in my pajamas, sleeping, spending time with my new husband, and screening all of my phone calls. We're yet to unpack, but the past 10 days have been so amazing and stress-free.
And as for the 30 before 30 (which seems to be rapidly approaching!):
Doing our first 5k on August 26th, to benefit MS research. Training starts tomorrow! Yes, literally, tomorrow.
Applied for another conference. This one will take place in late October. I will find out if I get in on June 15th. Fingers crossed.
Master's Thesis should basically be done by June 23rd. I have to go back to work full-time on June 25th, so this time is incredibly precious and ALL MINE.
That's it for now....
~Sharon N. Schiffer (weird to have a new name!)
Tuesday, June 5, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
signing on!
ReplyDelete